13 October 2008

13Oct- self-indulgent post on naps, families, & baan sawan
.
I think I need to take more naps. I had a relatively busy but benign day but still found myself exhausted by late afternoon. Over a book, a beer, and a cappucino at Cloud Nine I actually fell asleep. That's what i get, i suppose, for drinking a stimulant and a depressant to see which will win.
Working with family is difficult. I think being with family is difficult anyway, but this day after day business I think is weighing heavily on all of us in the family. I described it the other night as having an awkward, tense Thanksgiving dinner 5 nights a week. In addition to this unpleasantness, imagine you've brought an employee who's still coming to a decision about you and your family has no level of discretion. Then toss in the stress of being a business in the throes of economic doldrums and you've just about gotten the idea of one facet of this Baan Sawan craziness.

I fully understand the wonderous, unique and fleeting treasure that is family and that we must cherish all the possible time together that we can. I also understand how important it is to shop early for Christmas.

I think I've taken to dealing with family as i would an upset customer: I try to do my best so that, even if they remain unhappy, I can feel sure that it's not because I didn't try. Which does mean that reduces my pool of people with whom I can be genuine. Which means I'm working that much more. Which might account for my poor sleep, work dreams when I do sleep, and the bags under my eyes on which a server commented when he saw them upon the removal of my evidently stress-concealing eyeglasses.
Work is work, says I. Nobody said this would be easy. That's why they call it "work" and other maxims I use to remind myself that this is life.
Besides. Could be much worse.
Morale of the story? Find the time to take naps. they can be very refreshing.




pretty

No comments: