16 September 2008

16Sept-NYTimes article on Aglianico
.
An Italian Name worth Practicing

I've been a fan of this grape since running across it in the dusty corners of one of my distributor's price lists. Having never heard of it before, and finding it fairly affordable, I felt the need to try it and I'm glad I did. Long known as "the Nebbiolo of the South", I've been buying them since I can't really afford the Nebbioli of the North. There are some that are priced low enough to be on the by glass list but these tend to be overly simple, unremarkable wines. The one i have on the by the bottle list I think is very interesting with cherry, tar, and leather notes. And, like most Italian wines, it works very well with food. I'm gratified to see that it's been selling pretty well, too.

Anyway, this is the third of my quiet interests that I entertain at the restaurant that have recently appeared in the pages of the New York Times. Muscadet, restrained California Cabs, and now Aglianico. At this rate I expect to read an article soon on the delicate delight that is Italy's Moscato d'Asti. Then, perhaps, an article extolling the dry, nutty virtues of Amontillado.

No comments: