16 July 2008

16July-self-indulgent post on being caught with guilty pleasures
.
We all have our guilty pleasures. Some, perhaps, more private than others but usually there are some to which we'll admit such as a goofy movie, a sappy song, or a particular preference for an author who might not be terribly well-regarded.

Monday I had an urge for a chili dog. Normally, I have no qualms about admitting my love for the chili dog. It is a wonderful thing. That day, however, I didn't feel like stopping somewhere so I got a foot long Coney from Sonic. So I was driving along, in something of a hurry, and rather than try eating it as I drove - which I was sure would result in the bun acting like a gutter and shunting off its chili contents all over me - I decided to pull over. This is where I suddenly found myself self-conscious. I have nothing in particular against Sonic, but I rather like my chili dogs to come from charming street vendors or, at least, apathetic kids at Sandy's. I'd prefer they come from a diner, if there were one, and even though it's been a while I get a occasional urge to have a gas station chili dog. Whether it be my ostensible corporate support or that I feared I would look like a chili sword-swallower I suddenly felt the clearness of my windows and I sought out a quiet parking lot to take my bounty in shame, as though it were a hooker.
While it may seem the height of ego to presume that anybody I know would see me, much less give a damn about my eating habits, I'll tell you this:

I was talking to a regular at the bar, let's call her Liz (her name actually is Liz. I just wanted to say "let's call her") when a to-go order was being picked up. I left for a second to get change and got waylaid for no more than a minute. When I returned, and our To Go Client had departed, Liz told me that the other woman had seen me at the Publix with a Totino's pizza and had been disappointed as she'd assumed I'd be eating something more interesting. See, the thing is maybe once every six months I'm in the mood for a Totino's pizza. Every other time I shop I buy healthy things and ingredients. I buy components to food rather than things to heat up. I do actually cook. Interesting things, too. But she'll never be convinced of that. I find that somewhat depressing.

And, granted, that comes only from my own vanity but I've never claimed not to be vain.


I don't know who took this picture or who offers this wonderous thing
but i want to eat it a lot.

No comments: