13 May 2008

13May- self-indulgent entry on wine and books
.
The happy moments aren't necessarily that difficult to come by. What makes you happy, of course, is key. It's helpful if, like me, a few hours of happiness can be found in something as simple as a nice bottle of wine and an engaging book. To find both items, I suppose, can be difficult and might require the help of knowledgable sales staff or the recommendations of friends. But there's always the comfort approach in which you read a book you've read time and time again and pair it with a wine you know you enjoy.
I've been weary lately, fretting over this that and the other and recently decided to take a mental vacation at the Overlook Hotel in Stephen King's The Shining. I have a number of these kinds of books, as I hope all of you do. None of them particularly lofty fare but they are all well-tread(read) ground that I find comforting to read again. Adams' Hitchhiker's books. Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. Woody Allen's short stories. Nabokov's Lolita.
But tonight's happy time came with an untried book and untried wine. I'd seen and loved the movie so I began reading No Country for Old Men. I was pleased to find the same expansive, lonely feel to the book that I enjoyed in the theater. And through the course of the evening I've been enjoying a half-bottle of Chateau Langoa Barton '03 (with a dinner of a jury-rigged salmon en papillote) and a bottle of Chateau Haut Bages Liberal 2002 with my book (Leigh is reading The Stand.) The former wine seemed better balanced and was more to our liking, though the latter had a pleasing, fresh black cherry nose that was nice to huff in the glass as I looked over the rim to read.
Happy, simple moments to treasure in the hours before the following work day begins and reality sets in.


room in new york, 1932 Edward Hopper

No comments: