07 May 2008

07May- NYT article on wine consumers
.
Wine Pleasures: Are they all in your head?
paragraph 6. While it may be true that so many well-regarded and highly-priced wines seem to be bested by lesser wines, that's only by the opinions of a large group of people, many of whom have little experience. I discussed the related matter of experience in an old post regarding Penfold's Grange. (last entry)
At the end of the day, the wine you enjoy most is the one on which you should spend your money. I believe that to my last breath. But the more one is exposed to wine, theoretically, the more refined one's taste becomes. Four years ago I was drinking and enjoying wine I don't think I'd care much for today. Six years ago, forget about it. A wine that would amaze me today with its restraint, subtlety and elegance would probably have seemed lacking in brio four years ago. There's nothing wrong with either preference, but if you find yourself enjoying that restraint or silky smooth Bordeaux with dried flower and leather tones, you're going to have to spend more money to find it because $15 is no longer going to cut it. So now I may spend X amount on a bottle of wine because I want that layered, complex experience. I may not be happy about it but I look at it like prescription medicine: That's just how it's going to have to be.
Then there's the price thing the article mentions
. Granted, I may want to enjoy a wine more if I know it's expensive but since so much of my job is finding affordable wines with a good price to taste ratio, I find that I'm not swayed too much by that. Most of my reps don't tell me price when I taste, which I appreciate because it lessens bias. And, frequently, when I open something for Leigh I'll ask her how much she'd pay and she's been very good about guessing its price to within a few dollars.
...
I'm sure I had a point.
...
anyway, it's late and if I think of it I'll update the post.

No comments: